SINGAPORE - There were 75 new cases of Covid-19 infections in Singapore as of noon on Saturday (April 4), in the largest single-day spike announced by the Ministry of Health (MOH).
Of the new cases, 69 are local cases with no recent travel history abroad. This brings the total number of cases to 1,189.
Four new coronavirus clusters have also been identified. Three of them are dormitories - Sungei Tengah Lodge, Toh Guan Dormitory and Cochrane Lodge II.
The other cluster is located at The Orange Ballroom, a wedding venue at Tanjong Katong Complex in Geylang Road.
Only six of the new cases were imported cases with a recent travel history to Europe, North and South America and Asean.
Forty of the 69 new local cases are linked to previous cases or clusters, while 29 cases are unlinked, and contact tracing efforts are ongoing, said MOH.
MOH said on Saturday that more patients have been linked to five existing clusters.
Seventeen new cases were added to the cluster at S11 Dormitory @ Punggol, which has a total of 41 confirmed cases now.
One more case was linked to the cluster at Westlite Toh Guan dormitory , which now has a total of 18 confirmed cases.
Three more cases were linked to the cluster at a construction site at Project Glory, which has a total of nine confirmed cases now.
Four more cases were linked to the cluster at Mustafa Centre, which has a total of 19 cases now.
Two more cases were linked to the cluster at Keppel Shipyard, which has a total of six cases now.
The number of new imported cases has continued to be lower than locally transmitted ones prompting new elevated measures.
MOH said contact tracing is underway for 145 locally transmitted cases to establish any links to previous cases or travel history to affected countries or regions.
In a wave of new sweeping measures, the Government implemented a "circuit breaker" to pre-empt escalating coronavirus infections with most workplaces closed from Tuesday and all schools moving to full home-based learning on Wednesday, among other restrictions.
Earlier on Saturday, MOH announced Singapore's sixth death from the virus. The patient, an 88-year-old male Singapore permanent resident, had no recent travel history to affected countries and regions.
He was confirmed to have Covid-19 infection on March 29 and was admitted to the National Centre for Infectious Diseases (NCID) a day later. The man was cared for in the intensive care unit since March 30. He developed serious complications and eventually died. He had a history of heart and kidney disease, cancer and diabetes.
He is a locally transmitted case.
To date, a total of 297 cases have fully recovered from the infection and have been discharged from hospitals or community isolation facilities.
Of the 500 confirmed cases who are still in hospital, most are stable or improving.
MOH said 26 are in critical condition in the intensive care unit.
Meanwhile, 386 cases who are clinically well but still test positive for the coronavirus are being isolated and cared for at Concord International Hospital, Mount Elizabeth Hospital, Gleneagles Hospital and the Community Isolation Facility at D'Resort NTUC.